Oxford students going to Berkeley
The following groups at Berkeley would be interested in hosting students:
Chris Chang: http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/faculty/chem/chris-chang
Michelle Chang: http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/faculty/chem/michelle-chang
Jamie Doudna Cate: http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/faculty/chem/cate
Jennifer Doudna: http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/faculty/chem/doudna
Matt Francis: http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/faculty/chem/francis
Ming Hammond: http://chem.berkeley.edu/faculty/hammond/index.php
Evan Miller: http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/faculty/chem/evan-miller
Dave Savage: http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/faculty/chem/savage
Oxford students can for example conduct their Part II at Berkeley. They will need to seek faculty approval, which is normally achieved by submitting a project outline and the name of a co-supervisor to Nina Jupp in the Faculty office, by the end of week 3, Hilary term. The project will be assessed by the chairman of the Chemistry Academic Board, who must approve both project and co-supervisor before work can start.
Professors Ben Davis and Hagan Bayley are contact supervisors who may be able to give some more specific advice.
Berkeley students going to Oxford
The following groups at Oxford would be interested in hosting students:
Hagan Bayley: http://research.chem.ox.ac.uk/hagan-bayley.aspx
Tom Brown: http://research.chem.ox.ac.uk/professor-tom-brown.aspx
Ben Davis: http://research.chem.ox.ac.uk/ben-davis.aspx
Philipp Kukura: http://research.chem.ox.ac.uk/philipp-kukura.aspx
Chris Schofield: http://research.chem.ox.ac.uk/christopher-schofield.aspx
Mark Wallace: http://research.chem.ox.ac.uk/mark-wallace.aspx
UC Berkeley students can apply to study abroad through the site below.
Part II Berkeley Programme
- Part II student enquires by email about whether Berkeley supervisor will accept them
- Together Berkeley supervisor and student write 250-word description of project
- The project must be submitted to Nina Jupp by 3rd week of HT for assessment by the Faculty Office.
- Ben Davis and/or Hagan Bayley are named as co-supervisors in Oxford to act as coordinators of exam process.
- students should start at the same time and roughly follow Oxford Part II terms as they see fit and submit theses to the same submission dates and standards;
- the department cannot advise on university or college fees (since these are processed by colleges) or costs for additional expenses (fees, living costs etc at Berkeley). Berkeley and certain college schemes might be able to help with funding schemes upon discussion;
- the contacted supervisor at Berkeley may also provide advice on accommodation but the students might also be expected to use their initiative;
- delineating a project in conjunction with the Berkeley supervisor and processed as agreed under dept process (see above) is the nub of the process.